Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bloom Season: Brunswick St Community Garden


It's absolutely beautiful this time of year in the garden. Almost every bed has something in bloom and some beds are awash in color. Yesterday, under overcast skies, the colors really popped. 


Columbines easily naturalize in the garden. Seedlings grew unannounced in my plot last year and tend to sprout up all over the place if left unchecked. This year I counted four different varieties, including the ubiquitous purple kind seen above. 


After a very poor showing of roses last year and a tough winter, I was pleasantly surprised to see the bushes bouncing back. I chose a single bloom off this pink plant for a bud vase at home. 


I'm impressed with everyone's participation in their individual plots this year. We had at least 10 plots turn over to new members this year. I've never seen such weed-free, carefully planted beds in the garden in all the years that I've been a member. And so much mulch!


My own plot is on its way to being overtaken by sunflowers. I've moved several to neighboring shared beds and am using the rest to shade my lettuce crop. Otherwise, I would say this year's garden is my most unplanned effort. I've been sticking those pepper seedlings that I started indoors almost anywhere they will fit. I've reseeded inbetween lettuce with more lettuce. I've also randomly planted nasturtium and bush beans in empty spaces. Honestly I can't remember everything I planted and am only reminded when something sprouts. This week a nasturtium popped up and I think some lettuce leaf basil. 


Two strawberries and a bag of greens (kale and lettuce) were harvested on Wednesday this week so I'd say the plot is up and running. Next week I might throw an eggplant plant in if there's room...





No comments: