Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Trip to the Country and Back

We traversed the Hudson via the longest elevated pedestrian bridge in the world, located right outside the bustling metropolis of Poughkeepsie, NY.

We visited the charming Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome to see some rather decrepit flying machines.

We returned to a very thirsty garden. As usual, it is a wonder I can manage to keep a small garden up and running during the summer. We have spent nearly every weekend away this year and in our absence, the heat and dry weather have taken their toll on the plants. The marigolds are ever resilient, but those poor tomatoes, how they suffer!

Luckily we have lots of hardy volunteer tomatoes. Too bad they mostly seem to be that orange cherry variety that I struggled with last year. It's the same story this year: one or two little orange tomatoes every time I water but never enough for a bonafide harvest.

Oops! I split the first Mortgage Lifters with my zealous watering! I guess I should have eased back into it on our return from the country. Now I know better. In my (limited) experience, gardening seems to involve a lot of lessons learned, adjustments, adaptations, and surprises. I guess that's why it always leaves me wanting more: it is nearly impossible to perfect the craft!

No comments: