Thursday, March 26, 2009

Meat free for a day

Cutting beef from our diets or going vegetarian or vegan once in a while is one easy way to be more green. We've been hearing for a long time now that the beef industry is a costly operation (one of the reasons why I haven't been to a McD's for many many years), but now there are some startling numbers to back up the claim. Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh have determined that cutting meat from our diet just one day a week is equivalent to driving 1000 miles less a year in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. Going vegan bumps the savings up to 8000 miles. Check it out:
http://www.cmu.edu/homepage/environment/2009/winter/wheres-the-beef.shtml

I've been trying to eat fish one night a week since February and have been conscious of my beef eating for over a year. It might be time now to completely cut beef from my shopping list and explore meat-free recipes. For meat eating days I think locally sourced meat that gets to run around in the pasture and eat grass is also a good option. I'm reminding myself now how nice it would be to live in the country.

No comments: