Wednesday, June 23, 2010

End of June, Beginning of Summer

Earlier in the week the garden was beginning to resemble a jungle. I pulled carrots, picked beans (and then sacrificed bean plants in the interest of space), and tried to wrangle the sunflowers together behind the trellis. This is a "before" picture of what it looked like when I got there on Monday morning.

Everything has a bit more breathing room now that even more carrots have been pulled, bean plants composted, and lettuce picked for one final home grown salad. My concentration has shifted to fruiting plants: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and eggplant.

Monday's harvest included a few more baby beets, beet greens, lettuce, beans, and some funny looking carrots.

Today's harvest yielded an impressive stack of beans, some fat carrots, my first hot pepper, and the rest of the lettuce (not shown).

A couple Mortgage Lifters are enjoying the sun and heat. It's my largest plant at the moment and has me dreaming of big tomato slices with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
In other news, one of the little stray kittens in the garden was enjoying a bird this morning when I walked in. I also spotted several gigantic scarab type beetles flying around after first hearing that dreaded low pitched buzz that they make. I've started wearing a hat while gardening mostly to avoid the horrifying possibility of one getting stuck in my hair.

No comments: