Monday, March 29, 2010

Cabbages and Cats (not my cats)

I visited the garden last Friday to check the progress of the seeds and to see if anything had begun blooming in the common areas. My plot had apparently been used as a litter box by some of the local kitties and it seemed as though the more recently planted peas had been disturbed. After removing the stinky stuff I replanted some seeds just as insurance and snapped a photo.



The cabbages are happy and there are seedlings popping up but it is too soon to tell if some of the shoots are vegetables or weeds.


A little narcissus popped up and bloomed this year. This is a group of bulbs that Sarah planted two years ago. Last year I accidentally dug them up before they had a chance to get going.


The first group of peas are doing well. After I took the photo I found out temperatures were going to dip below freezing and I hoped they wouldn't mind.


The largest Chinese cabbage has a little floret in the center. I'm not sure what that's about but I'm anxious to see what will happen.


The big cabbage is getting bigger. I'm looking forward to some homemade coleslaw. Maybe I should make the mayo for it and go all out.


All of the cabbages have new leaves and look like they are going to thrive once we get some more sunshine.


I passed by a beautiful magnolia in bloom on the way to the garden.
In the garden there are lots of daffodils blooming, the peach tree is budding, and the various shrubs are showing signs of life. I picked an assortment of budding branches for a bouquet.

No comments: