Thursday, August 6, 2009

Swiss Chard, Purple Beans, Carrots, Beets, Basil, Sunflowers

The chard just keeps growing and growing and growing. I don't know if Josh is getting a little tired of it but I might be. Does anyone have any recipes to share for this?

I pulled out a couple of bean bushes today to give the tomato plants some more room. There are still some flowers on the bushes and baby beans.

I've pulled most of the carrots at this point. What's left is a sparse field of carrot tops and open ground that may be too enticing for the weeds.

The beets are getting to be about the size of limes. I will probably pull them next week for Thursday's Dinner With Dave Summer Vegetable Extravaganza!

The basil seedlings Ivette was kind enough to share with me are now in the garden. I'm pretty sure the collection includes Italian as well as Thai.

The first of the sunflowers is blooming. The plants grew about 6 feet tall and are the classic yellow variety. I will probably plant the more dramatic red kind next year.

No comments: